Monday, February 24, 2014

Shitty Romantics

Life is romantic here in New Hampshire.  It is quiet, charming, and wholesome. 

We are starting to know a few folks in the community thanks to our dog, Chance.  He has regular play dates with the Bed and Breakfast dog next door, who is more connected to other people and dogs than any PERSON I know.  So we meet dogs and their owners routinely with our visits to the neighbor.  Chance loves the Inn...the dogs, the owners, the treats, the toys, the long hallways.... Yesterday, Stacia tore me from the computer to have a fancy brunch over there.  Chance played outside with two large Golden Retrievers while we sat inside watching the event over Bloody Marys and a swath of beautiful breakfast foods.  After a while, Chance had tired out both dogs who were just laying in the snow.  So, while we were taking a sip of our savory breakfast beverage, he jumped the fence!  Fortunately, he simply went to the front of the Inn, where he was greeted with treats and hugs. I was embarrassed and was on my way home with him when the innkeeper suggested he just join us during our brunch.  So, there we were-Stacia, me, and the dog having a fancy Sunday brunch with our quite welcoming new friends. We were the last ones to finish, leaving out the back door to say goodbye to our dog buddies and pick up our toys we brought to share.

But last Thursday was even more romantic.  It was an epic 10 hour barn work day.  In the morning, I assisted vaccinations and treatment for the goats.  Afterwards, in the afternoon, Stacia and I joined forces at the barn to muck out and deep clean all three goat pens.  Two girls, 20 goats, one shovel, 2 pitch forks, 1 wheel barrel, 100+ manure hauls, bleach spray, and pine shavings.  And we were thorough with our work...really, the way we mucked-it was more like an art.  At one point, I was army crawling under the hay mangers through the manure trail mix.  At one point, Stacia had to run home to take the dog out and bring back refreshments of water and nuts. At one point, Stacia found new practical uses for the barn buckets (ask her if you're curious).  At one point, when we were herding the goats into the clean pen, I chased Blackie in circles around the wheel barrel for almost a minute.  I was fueled only by delirium. We successfully finished just past 8pm and were covered in a sweaty mixture of hay and poo.  It was everywhere...and demanded a long hot shower and immediate laundry to keep the apartment uncontaminated. And our backs demanded a few pain killers. We immediately passed out for the night. Even Chance couldn't wake me come morning.  I asked Stacia what her favorite part was and she said, "When it was over."  However, I think it was romantic.  How many people can say they have shared that experience with their partner?  Hard physical labor made humorous by sharing it with another lovely human.  And then a very satisfying exhaustion ending with delirious laughter as we fall into dinner and the couch.  We have learned so much about each other through this experience already.  I appreciate her more everyday, but especially on shitty days (in the literal) made joyful.


Morning after Massive Muck. Chance attempts his classic middle spoon.

Morning frisbee is on snooze, Chance.


Study break sledding.

Not sure if the hill, the snow bumps, or Chance chasing us was more terrifying.
Thinking of you all,
K xo

No comments:

Post a Comment