Today felt like our first 'normal' day. Obviously, 'normal' is a relative term considering there doesn't seem to be anything typical about our current day-to-day. Maybe I should use the word 'adjusted' because human beings can become accustomed to just about anything, for better or worse. Some of the exciting novelty of the move and goats is wearing off, but in it's place is an ease that comes with feeling more grounded. A common tradeoff, I suppose. And frankly, a welcomed change.
Prior to our milking shift, we went ice fishing. It was Spencer's first time apparently. I, on the other hand, cannot even fathom a childhood without fishing. As such, I was thrilled to be the one to introduce Spencer to the 'sport' of bucket sitting and stick twitching (just a joke, Dad). Actually, she encouraged us to go today. I was reluctant because I still don't have all the appropriate gear. Finally, she twisted my arm. We took a hammer to attempt opening an recently used fishing hole (I don't have an agar yet), football in case fishing was not feasible, and one cooler for us both to sit on.
At first, we had a difficult time finding a fishing hole (literally), but eventually stumbled upon a large hole with just a thin layer of ice across the top. Bot-a-bing, Bot-a-boom. I had no idea what species were found in Norway Pond. As such, I had no idea if we were using appropriate fishing gear and/or bait, but we went through the motions anyway. A long time went by without any action. My dad would have drilled four new holes by the time we finally had a 'bump'. Spencer squealed, uncertain what to do when a fish bit the lure. She kept trying to give me the pole. My skills need some brushing up too. Needless to say, we missed a lot of small fish today. BUT...WE DID CATCH ONE! We caught one very small perch. Spencer's first time even holding a fish! It was great fun and I am inspired to top off my gear so we can do it right.
The rest of the afternoon was quiet with reading, cooking, and a trip to the barn. The milking shift was not as exciting as last night. In other words, everything went smoothly. The milk machine worked and the goats didn't need any direction going through the process. They really are lovely animals. At one point today, Spencer asked,"Can you see why goats are my spirit animal?" I nodded without being able to articulate exactly why, but I suppose it has something to do with their very unique and strong personalities. And yes, they are also very loving, trusting, playful, and loyal. Very playful. Yes, yes, yes. I guess I have a thing for goats...in all their forms.
All and all, another good day. There is only one thing to say....Hello, new normal. Pull up a chair and stay a while...
Cheers,
Kenz xo
Congrats on catching your first fish, Spencer! It sounds like you two are embracing the outdoors and each others' spirit animals :)
ReplyDelete